- Plant based & dairy free
- Nut free
- Absolutely delicious!
What You’ll Need For The Dough:
- 1/2 C Coconut Oil
- 1 C coconut milk made by mixing together 1.2 tbsp of our Coconut Milk Powder with 1 C water
- 1 tsp + 3 tbsp sugar - you could try subbing this with our Coconut Palm Sugar!
- 2 1/4 tps instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 C flour + extra for flouring your surface
What You’ll Need For The Cinnamon Filling:
What You’ll Need For The Baru Nut Topping:
Dairy Free - Vegan - Peanut Free
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Yields: Roughly 8oz
Start by roasting the baru nuts, preheat oven to 375F, place nuts on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 5-7 mins stirring halfway or until it looks like the skin is falling off, be careful not to burn them. Quickly transfer roasted nuts to a clean bowl lined with a kitchen towel. Gently rub/peel to remove the skin or cut each nut in half making it easier to remove the skin.
Let cool then coarsely chop the roasted baru seeds.
In a 2 cup glass measuring cup melt the coconut oil and coconut milk in microwave for 1 1/2 mins or until it reaches 110-120 degrees F or feels like warm bath water, make sure it is warm and not hot.
Transfer warm oil/milk mixture to a large bowl, then sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar and instant yeast, stir and let it sit/activate for 10 mins, it should show bubbles.
Now add the 3 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp of salt. Add the flour half at a time stirring until you have added all the flour, the dough will be sticky, when its thick, transfer to a floured surface and knead for a minute until you form a ball.
- In a clean large bowl, add a small amount of oil, greasing the bottom and sides of the bowl. Add the dough ball, cover with plastic wrap and let site for 1 hour or until double in size
- To make the topping, in a small pot, melt coconut oil, brown sugar, and yacon syrup, once everything is combined, take off heat and pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan that is lined with parchment paper. Then sprinkle with your chopped baru nuts.
- To make the cinnamon filling, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, together. In small bowl melt coconut oil in the microwave.
- Once your dough has risen, on a floured surface roll dough into a rectangle about 15 x 12 inches trimming the edges if needed. Brush with melted vegan butter.
- Then sprinkle on the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture in an even layer, leaving about 1/2 inch bare around the edges. Then sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- Roll up your dough the long way and try to make it as tight as possible, pinching seams to seal.
- Using a sharp knife cut 12 even pieces and place into your prepared 9 x 13 baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap, let rise for 30 mins, you can preheat the oven at this time to 350 F.
- Once your rolls have risen for the second time, Bake for 30-35 mins or until golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes then invert onto a serving plate. If you made larger rolls then the cooking time will be longer then if you made smaller size rolls.